Monday, March 31, 2008

update #37 from Linda and Grams

Sooooo we got through the first day of therapy. This morning the OT people did some things bedside, then Steve went to the "gym" for PT...mostly range of motion exercises. Then back to bed for a short rest, a visit from the speech therapist, then back to the gym. Whenever they take him to the gym they put him on a sling and use a "hoist" to lift him into a wheelchair, so it's pretty exhausting just to do that. In OT this afternoon they spent lots of time trying to massage his sore shoulder muscles. PT put him on a mat and worked on neck strength.

While that was going on, we had a conversation with the social worker here...talked about many things, including future plans for Steve's care. There was a meeting afterwards where all the medical people get together and plan treatment, etc. In that meeting they decided that the current plan is to keep Steve in this department for about 5 weeks, which was exciting news for us!

Also, they are putting him back on an antibiotic because he still has an infection in his lungs. All this moving around that he's doing should help that situation, too.

We'll post tomorrow morning and let you know about visiting. Have a good night, everyone!

Linda and Grams

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been keeping up with Steve's progress(I'm Erica's Mom) and an article that I read in one of my dental journals came to mind with regards to Steve's problem with lung infection. The main point was that patients in the hospital don't always receive good dental care because of more pressing problems therefore lung infections and pneumonia could be introduced by the bacteria in the mouth. Hope that this may help. Debbie Wickstrom

Linda said...

Thanks, Debbie! He has been "assigned" to a nurse here, and I'll mention this to her tomorrow AM.
Linda

Jarman Family said...

Steve

I am so happy that you are doing better. Our family prays for you each night in hopes that you improve to the point where we can get you to another race. I hope you keep working hard I know you have it in you.
I am amazed at your parents strength I am not sure I could handle seeing my child in a situation like yours.
Just wanted to say hi and let you know that you are always in our thoughts and prayers.
The Jarmans

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking of and praying for Steve often. What a wonderful family and support system he has:)

From, Kristen Tobias
(from good ol' shears to ya)