Friday, March 21, 2008

Update #27 from Danielle

I just talked to Rob on the phone and it sounds like Steve had a very restful day. The nurses reported to both of us earlier that Steve is now considered 'floor status' which means that he doesn't have to be monitored as frequently and is now on the waiting list for a bed in Rehab on the 6th floor. Apparently it could be as soon as Monday!



My sister Jessie and I stayed up all night with him and am very happy to report he had another great night. He only coughed about 2-3x and for most of the night he slept. However, Jessie and I we're probably on our third intense game of Scrabble when Steve started to look around the room. He would look everywhere from up at the tv to his pictures on the wall. We both started talking to him and asked him to do some simple commands such as to move his index finger up and down....and he did! I even asked him to try to stick out his tongue, (I saw one of the nurses ask him to do this), and he very intently stared at me doing it while he very slowly lifted his own and pushed it slightly forward. I know it sounds silly, but it's something I've never seen him do before. He was also cracking us up at some points in the conversation when we raised our eyebrows, he was raise his. He looked so cute. ;)



Even though he did rest throughout the night as well, I'm feeling slightly guilty since apparently I completely pooped him out and he pretty much slept the whole day! I'm learning that there are definitely going to be many more times where he is pretty out of it rather than how he reacted last night. I'm still pretty confused, as I think most of you are, when to consider him 'awake' to 'sleeping' to....well, is he still in a coma?? We're all a little oblivious to this question, but I'm pretty sure we're all truly going to say he 'woke up' when he starts trying to communicate with us by either speaking or mouthing words. But time will tell.



Hope all is well and you enjoyed with update. Please, again, keep your positive thoughts and prayers coming. This is such a holy week and it is already SUCH a blessing that he has first, been granted into Acute Rehab, and second, that we've been getting such positive responses from him!!



Xoxos,

Danielle

5 comments:

Uncle Don said...

Danielle,

Thanks for the good news! I, like most, find myself living to see updates on Steve.

You are so right about this being "such a Holy week". I think Steve's journey has brought alot of folks a bit closer to prayer, belief, Church, and faith in general. I am feeling so strong on the signs Steve is showing, I just feel it is a matter of time before he awakens from his slumber. Keep praying, and being the positive force that I have witnessed.

Aunt Gail and I hope to see you sometime this weekend. God Bless!

Uncle Don

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Danielle, for that wonderful news....it gives me chills and tears of joy to read it.
Please give Steve a hug for us!

Grandma and Grandpa Stone

RussLynnCody said...

Hey Dani-girl,
Thanks for the good news, you are definetly a Tigger and not an Eeyore :-)! Prayer and Faith have brought Steve along way but human touch, contact and the look of love will bring him home. And he's already one step ahead with you on the home cheerleading team.
Love ya toots!
Aunt Lynn

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the update, Danielle!! It has made my day :) It is so great to hear about the progress he has made in the past few days!

God Bless Steve-o, Danielle and his family. I hope you all have a wonderful Easter and tell Steve I said Happy Easter if you get a chance!

As always, you are in my thoughts and prayers every day.

Love,
Leigh

Anonymous said...

I haven't checked the blog lately and was soooooooooo happy to hear Steve is responding so well. I talked to Kathie yesterday as she was on her way to visit Steve. She also seemed very excited about Steves progress. Please know that we are all saying prayers in the South for Steve and ya'll his family. Sincerely,
Debbie
Biloxi, MS