Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Purposeful Movement--Update #30 from Rob

Just got home from the hospital and am too wired to sleep so I will post this note.

"PURPOSEFUL MOVEMENT" these words have great meaning to anyone in Steve's situation. They mean that a person is showing movement that is commanded by the brain and not just reflexive. The more "purposeful movement" the better.


Steve had another great day. He is now off all anti-biotics and has even managed to put some 12 pounds back on.
I showed up about 4PM and Steve seemed "awake" so I asked him to blink twice if he heard and understood me. He did. I then asked him to squeeze his right hand around my hand, and he did so harder than I have ever felt before. I then asked him to move his toes on each foot and he did so almost immediately. He was able to move those on the left as well as he did those on the right. I also supported his right arm and tried to do range of motion exercises with him. He immediately took over and moved his arm by himself across his body. He did this repeatedly at least 10 times.
In fact, we continued this routine of eye-blinks, arm and foot movement for about 15-20 minutes and he never missed a command. It was like he knew what I wanted him to do, but he was determined to do it himself. I would have liked to do this for the rest of the day, but stopped when he appeared to be tiring.

I left the hospital in utter amazement of what we all have accomplished.

Thanks again,
Rob

2 comments:

Uncle Don said...

Rob,

Thanks for the update. What great news to begin the day with! I hope the Doctors get to see this too! Onward!

Anonymous said...

Interesting article on the Web this morning - power of the human spirit.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080324/ap_on_fe_st/not_dead

Heard about the Lake Michigan beach sand from Deb. Very Cool !! One day soon you'll be there to collect your own. Keep up the great progress Steve. It's you time to show all the experts what YOU are made of.

Uncle Rick & Aunt Cheryl