Saturday, March 8, 2008

Update #17 from Rob

I am updating this because there is no wireless internet in the hospital and it would require Beth and Lin to leave the hospital to update the blog.

I just talked with Lin and she reports Steve's' vital signs are slowly getting more stable. His heart rate now stays at or below 100 beats/minute. This is a good sign because doctors say that elevated heart rate could be the sign of anxiety or pain. Steve seems to be showing stronger Right Hand movement and has actually tried to lift his head off of the bed a couple of times. This was also witnessed by one of the many outstanding nurses that administer to him. Steve has also moved his left arm and leg, this may still be reflexive, but we will take it!

Lin also stated that Steve just seems to be more "aware" of his surroundings---please Remember what we said about the highs and lows.

Weather has stopped the return flight the past two days and has also stopped todays flight. There may be a chance around 7PM tonight. We will keep you posted.

As I think about why I am home and my family is not, I choose to believe that there is a plan. Maybe Steve will awake there and give the medical people a chance to admire their work--it would be so fitting.

As always, Thank You all for your love, support, positive thoughts and prayers.

Rob

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

Thank you for the update Rob. We know that you have warned us against reacting with each high and low, but for those keeping score at home, the HIGH's are winning by a landslide.

Anonymous said...

Great news about your coming around more Steve. After reading the post from your dad, my husband and I were talking about your progress and that got us on the subject of my bad accedent. It was several years ago, I was a couple of years older then you now. We called my return to good health, the dance of healing. It was like a dance, a modern one with no set steps, it just followed its own rhythm. Some healing was noticeable and sometimes not. We learned to trust that my body was doing what it needed to so I wouldn't lose my leg. I was exhausted a lot for a while, its hard work healing. I too got the support and prayers I needed. To the shock of my surgeon, I don't even limp! The human body is an amazing thing. I know you will keep up the wonderful progress, so rest, fight and know that you are in the best of hands.
With Love and Prayers,
The Smith Family

Uncle Don said...

Rob I truly understand how you feel today about not being there. Trust me though, there is a plan and this all a part of it. What the end plan is, we do not know, and perhaps never will. I do know this things are on the upswing! Next week the weather is to warm up! You, Mom, and Danielle made it home safely! Now the topping we're all waiting for is the return of Steve, Bethany, and Linda, your wife and best friend! How sweet this reunion of souls will be.

I hope that folks will continue to utilze this blog once Steve returns to Michigan. I find it to be theraputic (sp?), but mostly this will serve as a record for Steve to see what this journey entailed.

Peace to all!

Anonymous said...

Steve, it's great reading about the "good signs". Here is hoping that you and everyone will be back home, in Michigan, very soon.

~(cousin)Adrienne