Thursday, March 13, 2008

update #21 from Danielle, Grams, and Linda

Well...this has been one of those "rollercoaster" days. Steve had a good day yesterday. However, during the night he did lots of coughing, had lots of junk in his lungs, his oxygen levels were low, part of his lung collapsed, and they had to put him back on the vent. Also, they've been pumping huge quantities of fluid from his stomach through the PEGG and are x-raying him this evening to see if that is working correctly. They have a suspicion that the PEGG is actually draining fluid from his intestines as well as his stomach. They put an NG (nose) tube in to drain his stomach and clamped the PEGG to test their theory. They also tried to put in an arterial line, which is a way to get accurate readings of blood pressure and blood gas levels. They poked him numerous times with no luck, and plan to try again later. You can imagine how exhausted he looks and feels.

The good news is that the physical and occupational therapists are very happy with the fact that his body is "limber" despite spending so much time in bed. They actually had him sitting in a reclining chair yesterday for over 4 hours. Even though he had a rocky start to the day today, they've been able to reduce his oxygen through the vent from 100% to 50% as the day has gone by. We're very happy that they're trying so hard to resolve his stomach issues...it's something that's been causing him a lot of discomfort for many days.

He had some visitors yesterday and that was great. But after today's events, we're asking that you wait a day or two before visiting, to give him time to rest. Thank you for understanding.

We're confident that he'll have a good night and that we'll be sharing all good news tomorrow!

With love and thanks,
Danielle, Grams, and Linda

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update and clarifications. I have been really worried about that feeding tube and the accumulation of fluids. I am so happy that they are checking it thoroughly so we can be sure that nutrition is actually being delivered to the right spot in Steve's body.

I am also watching closely for updates regarding Steve's coughing. I have just recovered from a bronchial infection and I know that it is impossible to rest when powerful coughs are racking your body. I keep wondering if the hospital has installed a humidifier in Steve's room to help thin the secretions in his lungs and make it easier for him to expel.

Thank you for your updates. I appreciate the details of the medical information you share because it really does seem that each day brings us closer to a resolution to the complications plaguing Steve. I look forward to hearing that he is eating, breathing and sleeping well, as I believe that is when the most improvement in his communication with you will come. I just hate that he has to spend so much of his strength fighting these nagging problems and it makes me incredibly happy to hear that the doctors don't seem to like them either and are addressing them.

Kathryn

Anonymous said...

Kathryn -
We appreciate your insight. Are you in med school? I asked about the humidifier and they told me that the air he's receiving is heated and moistened, which accomplishes what a humidifier does.

to all - Steve had a better night and we had a good conversation this morning with the head of trauma...the whole team here is working hard to make him well, even though it will take some time. Had a scary moment when his pupils seemed sluggish, but it turned out that the flashlight they were using needed new batteries, which just goes to show you how human this whole experience really can be!

more later. Have a good day everyone!

Linda Percha

Anonymous said...

Thank you Linda for the up date. Very glad to hear Steve had a good night, rest is so important. Is Beth still reading to Steve? I have been thinking about that early posting and was wondering if they finished Moby Dick, I think it was Moby. Let me know if you need books, you know me, always have a book around to read. Linda I am here if you need anything, please just ask.
My love and prayers,
Sue Smith

Anonymous said...

Dear Linda,

Hi, this is Kathryn. No, I'm not a medical student. I am just Kira's aunt and a mother of three kids who has seen her share of doctors'offices, emergency rooms and hospitals.

My son has been critically hospitalized twice,
once at birth with Strep Group B (the doctor told us he wouldn't come home alive) and then again at seven with a suspected brain tumor.
(it turned out to be optic neuritis) My other son has a mild chronic illness. Consquently, I have become interested in medical news and always read everything I see in the paper or in magazines. I certainly wish now I had gone to medical school as I think our family's medical bills have come to equal the cost of a medical education!!

I know firsthand how terrible a thing it is to have your child in a hospital. Although I don't know Steve personally, or your family, I have become very attached to the idea of him recovering fully. I really want that for him. While I cannot hold your hand or visit Steve in the hospital, I sincerly hope I can make a contribution in the form of keeping my eyes and ears open and passing along any information that may have some value to Steve.

I am painfully aware of the human element in medical delivery. The flashlight battery incident was a lighthearted example of a silly little thing that could have ended up mattering greatly. When I read about Steve's coughing spells, I just could not stand the thought that maybe someone forgot to turn on Steve's humidifier for him when he was ready to rest as I have read repeatedly humidifiers are extremely helpful.

Thank you for your reply regarding the humid air Steve is already receiving. It gave me great peace of mind. I know it is a little bit silly when Steve is obviously receiving great care, but I am sure I will continue to rack my brain and study the news for something that can help you.

Best Wishes,
Kathryn

Anonymous said...

Every night I try to leave a message, and as you said Linda, I too, hit the send button, then it gets lost in cyber space... so here goes again
WELCOME HOME STEVE AND FAMILY!
Your Walled Lake School family are all with you in spirit and prayer.
PEACE, Marie Carriere

Anonymous said...

Sue - They're still working on Moby Dick...had started reading it last summer. Beth asked a doctor in Maryland if it was OK to read to Steve and his reply was, "Sure, as long as it isn't Moby Dick!" He had no idea that was the book she planned to read...just thought it was the most boring book on the planet! A funny moment.

Take care -
Linda