Tuesday, May 27, 2008

update #68 from Linda

Hi! The most exciting event today was that Steve walked using the "hard" machine once around the room in the morning and then again in the afternoon. I heard Tim asking the other therapists if they were giving him much help, and they said they were not. So, Tim and Mike each held onto one side of the gate (gait?) belt (around Steve's chest) and he walked about 10 steps that way - without holding onto anything! His knees were shaky and his feet weren't perfectly aligned, but he was walking and he was smiling, as we all were!

A friend of mine suggested "pixie sticks" as something to put in Steve's mouth and have him move it around, then swallow. Our OT therapist thought that was a good idea, and did it three times this morning. In the past this has been done with ice chips, which bothers his sensitive teeth. Pixie sticks were such a good idea, and his therapist said he handled it very well! He was also happy to taste something after all this time. :)

In speech the therapist read three words, had him write them down, then asked him to answer several questions, then write the words again. At that point I was struggling to remember them, but Steve did. Then she asked several more questions, and asked him to write the words AGAIN. Honestly, I couldn't remember them at all! Steve, however, had no problem. Amazing. They also sing songs sometimes and have Steve join in if and when he can. Today the therapist sang "happy birthday" and Steve said "Danielle" very clearly. He has a few weeks to practice, but it was a good start!

We had lots of company this weekend...thanks SO much everyone! Steve also got to spend time outside and loved it.

One more thing he was able to do this weekend was to type a note on the computer and send it to a friend, for the first time since his accident. A very short note which took a very long time to type, but a huge accomplishment!

I hope everyone had a nice Memorial Day.
Thanks for everything, and take care of yourselves!
Love,
Linda

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great post!!!

Anonymous said...

It is "gait." :o)

Anonymous said...

Hey! Carl The Lobster here....Steve sounds as if my days in the old lobster pond are numbered. To be honest, I couldn't be happier! The water here STINKS!!! It's salty, and I'm always thirsty. Anyhow, I'll keep on hiding until you're ready for me. My friend Betty Butter is just melting to meet you! :)

Hang Tough,
Carl

Anonymous said...

Hey Carl, I think this date with Betty Butter calls for a nice soak in the hot tub first!

Anonymous said...

Carl here.....I like the idea of a little hot tub action with Betty Butter. I'm a very shy lobster, but I know that a nice soak in the hot tub, tends to get me out of my shell :)

Anonymous said...

Whoever you two anonymous posters are...you're a hoot! =) I'm thinking that Uncle Don has something to do with this??

Anonymous said...

Hey All...

I've been keeping up to date and most importantly praying with you on the big and little things on a weekly basis. I look forward to stealing away to my office, reading what's new (usually with a tear or two of joy) and then praising God for the victories and restoration that is occurring. Keep up the good work--all of you!

We'll be home with Dad in Michigan next week and be praying additionally for y'all from familiar soil.

Love to all...

Jen (and the rest of the Kogowski family)

Linda said...

Thanks, Jen. We think of all of you often.

Love,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Morning All....Carl here. I'm just glad that the only person thinking of me often is Steve. If more of you thought of little old me (appx 3lbs), I wouldn't know how to handle it...did I mention I am shy?? Yesterday was a little rough, Betty Butter thought I was flirting with Maggie Margerine and Stella Shortening. I keep telling Betty, that I only have claws for her! Women!!

Take Care Steve!
Your Bud,
Carl