Sunday, May 25, 2008

Lobster Story (from Beth)

Hi guys,

I know I've kind of been the absent blogger lately, but I just wanted to quickly share one funny story about Steve that happened this morning. So last night I stayed over at the hospital with Steve, and this morning he woke up early and wanted to watch some TV before getting in the wheelchair, so we turned on ESPN. A couple of minutes into the show (which was about deep sea fishing) a commercial came on for Red Lobster's "jumbo shrimp buffet". I wasn't really paying attention, but then I heard this voice.

"Yummmmmm...."

I looked over and Steve was staring wide-eyed at the screen. I immediately felt terrible, and asked Steve if he wanted me to change the channel. He said no, and then signaled that he wanted to write something. So I got him a pen, and he wrote,

"No matter what I watch, I only see the Red Lobster commercial."

This would have been really sad, except that Steve was cracking up and so was I. He then wrote that he sees the little lobster from the Red Lobster logo everywhere: hopping around the room, hovering up by the TV, sitting next to him in bed, etc. He wrote that when he gets out of the hospital, the first place he's going to go is Red Lobster.

I was a little concerned about Steve's unending series of lobster visions, so I tentatively asked him if his friend the lobster had a name. And then out loud, as clear as could be and in a very serious voice, Steve said,

"He told me his name was Carl."

And then he cracked up again.

So even though Steve hasn't had any food by mouth for over three months now, he can still laugh about it, which to me is pretty darn amazing. And surely, as soon as he gets out, the first place we go will be Red Lobster so we can visit Carl and his little friends, the shrimp. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful, thank you for sharing. We laughed so hard, felt a little bad, we know he has to be very ready to chomp on some food.
So on this holiday we won’t wish “long live the crustacean!” How about instead we wish a yummy end to the little guy!?
With love and continuing prayers (now with an added bit about Carl the lobster)
The Smith’s

Anonymous said...

Has anyone said when Steve can begin to eat again?

Anonymous said...

Steve is scheduled to have a swallowing function test sometime this week. Until he proves he can swallow water without coughing and more on command, food will shortly follow! Because he's not quite strong enough to do so just yet, this puts him at risk for aspirating into his lungs and then he's prone to infection. However, he really does seems to be controlling his muscles more and more!! Hopefully, it will only be a short amount of time until we're able to feed him one of those famous cheese bisquits from Red Lobster!!

-Danielle

Uncle Don said...

Steve, Aunt Gail and I were gonna stop and get you a stuffed lobster from K-Bee Toys, but we figure taking you and Danielle for a REAL lobster dinner would be much more satisfying. Of course if the Wings do well this series, we may be able to get a deal on Octopus!!!

Love you,
Uncle Don & Aunt Gail

Anonymous said...

Steve,

Just wanted to let you know of the great day I had yesterday.

No it wasn't the fact that our flight home was delayed for 5 hours and we walked into our house at 2:00 AM.

No it wasn't the fact that when I arrived at our gate I proceeded to sit down and lean back into a pile of bird crap. Honestly !!! Bird crap in an airport. There’s nothing like standing in the men’s room washing and drying your shirt.

No, it wasn't the fact that shortly after take off Alexis tapped me on the shoulder and said "dad I need your help" only because blood was flowing out her nose and down her face. "Hey, snack lady, can I get a couple of napkins here?".

And lastly, no, it wasn't the fact that Ryan woke up from a sound sleep on the plane only to throw up in my lap. You know how you just can't get rid of that smell.

Anyway, I had a great day yesterday. I had the opportunity to see you smile, I had the joy in listening to you laugh, I had the opportunity to watch Beth, Rob and Linda in action and I had the opportunity to help you reach that itch that eluded you: followed by you turning to me, with probably the most sincere look of thanks I have ever witnessed, and listen to you say "Thank you" to me. Steve, it is I who am saying thank you to YOU.

Uncle Rick