Monday, May 12, 2008

update #62 from Linda

Hello!

I hope everyone had a nice Mother's Day. When I walked into Steve's room Sunday morning he looked at me very intently and whispered "Happy Mother's Day". You could tell it took lots of effort, but he wanted to make sure I heard it, and I did! He also said it later when it was time for me to leave for the day.

Beth had the overnight and she and Steve had a nice morning. She always massages/lotions his feet, which he loves. They also played a couple games of UNO, and spoke with doctors about getting permission to take a walk outside (off hospital grounds). When I arrived a nurse asked me about the "permission slip" that was on Steve's chart and I didn't know what that was about. Steve wrote "ask Beth" so I did and she filled me in. He was very excited about it, although the weather decided not to cooperate. He was OK with that, and we'll try again another day! UNO was painfully slow, but Beth has so much patience...I know he enjoyed playing it with her.

Steve was so alert - probably more than I've ever seen him. He's getting really good at dealing with his own itches, controlling the remote, writing notes, and even signing his name (in cursive!). He seems less frustrated with his left arm, and is getting better at doing things one-handed. He is getting better at relaxing his left one, and they've decided not to use meds to relax it at the present time, as they want to see what he can do on his own. He is also getting so much stronger, and helping lift himself up as he gets dressed, the sling is positioned, etc. Holds the railing to keep himself on his side so we can wash or massage his back. Last night the tech who was helping him get ready for bed was AMAZED at the progress he's made in the last week, when he last saw him.

He has had headaches all week, which we're keeping an eye on as far as time of day, severity, activity level, etc. Rob hopes to connect with the neuro doctors soon to discuss this. Steve describes the pain as a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1-10, and motrin gets rid of them. There may be a bone flap connection...more on this as we figure it out.

Have a good Monday, everyone!

Love,
Linda

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda,

Happy Mother's Day...bet yours was wonderful!!!! So glad to hear of the progress. Show Steve our picture and let him know he will see us soon!!! Could the headaches be from some of the medicine is he coming off of?? Could they be from lack of food?? Or, maybe I know there have been issues with his vision, maybe they are related to that. Just some thoughts. Can't wait to see all of you. Tell Steve (Aunt) Cheryl says "Yeah, Come on!!!! We are so proud of him!!!!! Maybe he is overworking his brain, I know that always gives me a headache. Tell Steve Ryan got selected to play on an All-Star baseball team for the week, and that he got selected to play on a "Select Team" this summer (out of all the teams 7 or 8 (about 80-90 kids), they choose 24 kids for 2 teams and he was one of them. Maybe the next Jeff Francouer??? Have a great day/week...Love, hugs, kisses and prayers, (Aunt) Cheryl, Uncle Rick, Alyssa, Alexis and Ryan

Anonymous said...

Aunt Cheryl says....Uncle Don must be illin'....did I beat him to the first "post"...time to wake up Uncle Don....Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Greetings. I interviewed Steve at UofM on Jan31 for an engineering position at Ricardo, Inc. I spent only 20 minutes with him, and came away with the same good feelings about him as I have read here. Later, I received a call from Linda explaining the situation. I would like to say thank you first for the call, which was no doubt very difficult to make and shows such a high level of class and responsibility. This is obviously a good family, you've raised good kids and I am grateful to have crossed your paths if only briefly. I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers and will continue to check in regularly.