Thursday, April 24, 2008

Update #55 from Linda

Hello, everyone!

At long last, Steve had his trach removed this morning! Rob said he coughed much less than usual during the day, and tonight he seemed to be experimenting with his voice more than ever...said "Beth" for the first time. :) As any man who walks into his room knows, I'm always trying to talk someone into shaving Steve, as it's so traumatic for me (and for him). Tonight he didn't mind at all, so I'm thinking that having the trach out changed some weird sensation he must have been having in his neck. A little thing, but a huge relief!

Tonight I was telling his nurse that (a couple days ago) some doctors were commenting that it was too bad that he couldn't move his legs very well yet, and he promptly raised them up. She said that he must have been thinking "This will shut them up!" and I said that, with his personality, I'm sure that was just what was on his mind. Steve's face immediately lit up with a huge grin...hilarious!

"Doctor Rob" came up with a couple good questions regarding some meds that Steve is on and asked his rehab doctors if he could be taken off them. They spoke with the neuro doctors and it was decided that he'd be weaned off them...they have already started with one. The hope is that he'll have more energy once they're gone. Yeah, Rob!

Another thing that I find interesting is that, no matter how much they put him through and no matter how much it seems to hurt, he will never take pain meds. They offer him tylenol several times each day and he always answers "no". By the next day he seems to have worked through whatever was causing him pain and is ready to move along. Such strength.

All is all, a good day!

Take care!

Linda

11 comments:

Linda said...

Please be sure to read Danielle's update #55! It appeared just as I posted this, and she's a much better writer than I am :)

Anonymous said...

Not true!!! :P

Uncle Don said...

As they say down south, "Ya all are good!"

Anonymous said...

As the official southern member, I take exception to Uncle Don's comments. Correctly stated, we in the south would state "ya all got it goin on, yeh come on". The defense rests ...... ya all.

Uncle Rick

Uncle Don said...

Rick,

I think the boiled peanuts have caught up with you!

Anonymous said...

Steve and Team,
I am so excited over these latest blogs, they were awesome. It seems each thing you do either physically or mentally is moving you along faster and faster. I am so impressed and could not be more pleased for you. At this point a few weeks ago I would have said, keep up the great work. Now after reading all the team and family blogs I don't have to, I know you will.
With continued prayers and love,
Sue Smith

Anonymous said...

It is so amazing to read these blogs and read about Steve's improvements. Steve, the Percha family, and Danielle are truly an inspiration. I love hearing all the new stories and it is evident that Steve's personality it coming through! He is such a hard worker! I can't wait to see you all soon!
-Jessie Stone

Unknown said...

Hello everyone,
We love reading all the progress, we love the humor and the strength all of you have. Steve's persistence will truly heal him - he is amazing. Steve's Uncle Don makes me cry with his faith. We should all learn from him.
One idea (?) - not sure if it is good or not - a small dry erase board - markers and an erasure. Not sure if it is a good idea or not - but I had to get it out---
love from the Maciasz Family.

MaskedBlogger said...

Uncle Don makes us all cry.

Uncle Don said...

Masked Blogger.....

I thank you?? How are things down south??

Uncle Don said...

Ms.Maciasz,

Great minds think alike! Aunt Gail purchased a small dry erase board the other day. We will be taking that to Steve today. Thank for the kind words.

God's Peace,
Uncle Don