Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Update #43 from Danielle

Hey everyone!

I'm happy to report that Steve had a very easy and relaxing night. He slept pretty much the entire night and it's becoming obvious he's getting on a more sleep/wake cycle. This, of course, makes it easier on everyone else as well!!

This morning he was greeted by two rehabilitation doctors. One of the doctors, Dr. Eckner, asked him first to squeeze his hand with his left. Steve did almost immediately. Even though we have seen Steve do this time and time again, he isn't always necessarily on 'top of his game' after he has just woken up. (Of course, that has to be the time the docs come in!) However, this morning was different. Dr. Eckner then asked him to look at Dr. Fitch and he looked directly at him. Steve wasn't even told that he was on his right side. Then Dr. Eckner told him to look at his girlfriend, and he slightly turned his head to the left, looked right at me and stopped. It was pretty exciting...he knows who we are! He was also asked to hold up two fingers, then four fingers, then two again...he did every command. Both docs commented it was the most 'awake' they had ever seen him. Linda then came in a short time later and decided to show me something new that he could do. She wrote "Wiggle your toes" on a piece of paper and told him to read it and do what it says. About 5 seconds later his toes started wiggling like crazy! It's incredible that he is not only showing us that he can follow commands and knows who we all are, but that he is reading too! He just has to figure out a way to express himself verbally. Like his dad keeps reminding him, "It'll all come back".

I decided to stay throughout the afternoon to witness all of his therapy sessions. Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy first visited him at bedside. Then a quick nap later, he was moved to his wheelchair to visit the speech pathologist. I was definitely looking forward to that one the most, especially with all of his progress in speech the last couple of days. The speech pathologist first covered his trach with some tissue and asked him to make a 'voice'. After a couple breaths Steve let out a little wheeze of a sound. She applauded him and asked him to do it again but a little longer this time. He then let out a longer noise. I swear, I almost fell to my knees...I was so proud of him!! A little later on in the session she tried to get him to hold a marker in his right hand. He finally got a hold of it and she asked him to draw a circle on a sheet of paper. She showed him how to do it by motioning his hands in that direction and repeatedly told him to do it. All of a sudden, he drew a tiny circle on the paper. It was so great. =)

Even though his family and myself want to express every single uphill progress that he's making, I still feel as though I should comment that there are still times that he does not answer to commands. He often gets very tired and there are still, of course, some things he cannot do at this time. I'm pretty sure that everyone understands this, but it can be frusterating too after reading SO many great improvements on his behalf. It definitely makes you want to almost shake him and say "Wake up Steve! Talk to me!"...especially when we're all feeling as though he is just so close. With all that aside, there is no doubt he is making notable and huge strides to his recovery everyday. It is also becoming more and more evident already how many people know him throughout the hospital. The staff shares our excitement everyday and continuously makes us all feel he truly is touching a little piece of everyone's hearts.

I know you're all thinking that I couldn't possibly make this blog post any longer than I already have, but I'd like to say one last thing. I'd actually like to thank my Uncle Ronny who came in today to see Steve. My uncle too had a close headed injury 2 years ago and is now walking, talking, working, and doing everything he did before his injury. He is such a great inspiration and I just hope he realizes how fantastic it was that he could come and share his own story with Steve and his family. So thank you Uncle Ronny!!! <3

I wish you all the best...talk to you soon!



Danielle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is all so wonderful.

I was thinking about Steve holding the flashlight and shining it on his mom, which made me remember how much my kids loved to play with the beam and could shine it for hours (running down the battery!) I was thinking that maybe Steve might like using a laser pointer. Maybe if there were a few posters in the room set up permanently that he could see - like I'm thirsty, I'm sleepy, I'm in pain, (with illustrative pictures for each, particularly like the ones they use for pain in the pediatrician's office) he could point to them with the laser as a less worklike way of communicating with you. It seems like he has gross motor skills and can read, so maybe, if this could work, it could ultimately be a way of zeroing in on what he's thinking or feeling as well as give him some physical therapy he might enjoy.

I am very inspired by Steve's progress and the power of his human spirit.

Kathryn