Thursday, April 3, 2008

update #40 from Linda

Hello! Three very exciting things happened in speech today...thought you'd like to hear about them.

The first was that the therapist let Steve eat ice chips. He had to open his mouth, then close it, then move the ice around with his tongue and/or chew it, then swallow. He did a great job and I know it felt so good to him. Up until this point the only moisture he's gotten in his mouth is from a little sponge.

The second was that he's trying hard to speak and the therapist said she doesn't think it will be long before he does. She tried to have him say "yes" and eventually he (twice) said something that we both thought, without a doubt, was "yeah".

The third was that the therapist gave him a flashlight in his right hand, turned off the lights, and asked him to move it so that it shone on his mom's face. He did!

The rest of his day was busy and exhausting. But when they got him into bed this evening, he was wide awake and moving his head from side to side looking at things in his room, so we're hoping that he's getting used to his rehab schedule.

As always, thanks for keeping him in your thoughts and prayers. Have a good night!

Linda

6 comments:

Uncle Don said...

Linda,

Like I said on the phone, this is GREAT NEWS! I truly think there is much more good news to come.

Steve has truly been touched by the healing hands of God! Thanks be to God for guiding the hands of all the medical staff (surgeons, nurses, and therapists) that have helped, and currently are helping Steve recover.

We must remember to also thank Matt and Kira for getting Steve to the hospital as soon as they did, if they would have waited, we would not be having these great updates on Steve's progress.

As always, I ask the following:
God our Father, hear our prayers, hear us God the Son. Holy Spirit, hear our prayers, have Mercy on Your people Lord.

Peace,
Uncle Don

Anonymous said...

This is awesome!!! Steve you rock!

It sounds like he's getting great care with all of his therapists and it makes my day to read these updates! I'm praying for Steve's and everyone's enduring strength as I'm sure it's exhausting for everyone. Remember there are hundreds of people behind you all and we would drop everything to help out.

Can't wait to see you soon Steve!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Steve!!!

I've been thinking of a song for quite some time that I think the words are appropriate. Just a portion of the song goes like this:

There's a new me coming out
And I just had to live
And I wanna give
I'm completely positive
I think this time around
I am gonna do it
Like you never knew it
Ooh, I'll make it through

The time has come for me
To break out of this shell
I have to shout
That I am coming out

Keep up the good work and so many thanks to your Mom, Dad, Beth, Grams and Danielle for all the daily and evening support. You guys are angels....

Love, Aunt Gail

Anonymous said...

I agree with Uncle Don. This is great news. I could feel my heart lift as I read about Steve's accomplishments. Steve's progress is proof that love and devotion is fantastic medicine!

Kathyrn

Anonymous said...

Thank you guys for writing such a
beautiful letter.Since Steve has
always been on my mind and prayers,
it's very nice to know about the
blog page for updates.I look foward
to the day he walks back to our ICU
smiling.

Maloure RN(Suburban hospital)

Rob said...

Maloure and the Suburban Staff, HOLD on to that thought of Steve coming back there, I know he will!

Rob