Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Surgery Update #4 from Rob

Just wanted to say that Steve should be back in Rehab today, June 3rd. His pain is decreasing to the "six level" and pain meds are not needed as often. It was quite a new experience for him, as well as us.

Steve seems to be able to ignore the pain he feels unless asked about it. I know the nurses are so pain conscious, but I sometimes wish they would let Steve tell us when he needs the meds. This is contrary to the nurses' training however as I know they want to stay "ahead" of the pain, so we do not get in the way of this.

A Neuro PT therapist came in to the room Monday and we got Steve out of bed and into a recliner chair, by doing a pivot transfer. She also gave us a list of range of motion exercises we should do 3X a day. Steve indicated that it felt good to stand up and get "out of bed" so we let him sit there for a couple of hours. We plan to now coordinate our exercise efforts with those of the therapists.

The head and abdomen drains were removed Monday and the bandage also. I'm glad we saw the incision and the staples in Bethesda first. It is a bit unnerving to see it all again. The surgeon came in , as well as a host of other doctors and all said Steve is cleared to go back to rehab. The surgeon had a bit of fun with Grams, the conversation went this way;

Grams: Doctor, how many titanium plates were needed to attach the bone flaps.
Doctor: Oh lots!!!!................ I didn't count them but the nurses do so we can charge for them!!

When he left, I sincerely thanked him again for his efforts and he said" Your welcome---anytime".
I said doc, we are not planning on doing this Again!

"Sick" humor??

Through the "fog" of pain meds, Steve still seems to be more aware than before and it is pleasing to know that all that is left now is recovery. No surgery hanging ominously over our heads.
Danielle is back from a short trip and it is nice to see her and Steve communicating again.

Once back in rehab, we will get back to the business of therapy and visitors.
Thank you all for your help in getting past this step.
Rob

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve,

You are so lucky to be with your gal....I miss Betty!

Your Bud,
Carl The Lobster

Uncle Don said...

Rob,

Is there any sort on bandage on Steve's head at all? I am sure Steve is anxious to get back in the therapy routine. Thanks for the update!

Uncle Don said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

No, Steve has no bandage on his head...just a HUGE number of staples. He got back to the rehab floor around 1:30 and Tim (PT) is with him right now doing an assessment. It is so good to be back in his rehab room!

Anonymous said...

Carl,

My world has been cold and dark without you. I realize now that I was spreading myself too thin, it's just that I was so whipped up when I saw you talking to Marge and that Shorty person. (You know they are only cheap substitutes for me!!) I want you back. No one can hold me like you. Plus, Danielle's home and I think she might be better for Steve's heart in the long run.

Call me,
BB