Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Update #75 from Linda

Hi!

I'm in the day room at the hospital right now while one of our favorite aides (Eric) trains a new aide in the technique of helping Steve get washed up and dressed. After a look of sheer terror, Steve agreed to let them do it! :)

First of all, from all of us, Danielle...have a wonderful birthday! The story of Steve deciding what to give you for your birthday is one that will make me smile forever. I hope your day is beautiful and amazing, just as you are!

Yesterday they decided to extend Steve's stay until 7/11. That's Uncle Dave's birthday! They had Steve walking on the treadmill and around the room with therapists supporting him, but no "walker" and he does better all the time. We contacted New Balance and got advice on shoes...it turns out that they actually had some to recommend for Steve...a less sticky sole, and a boxier style so one foot doesn't hit the other as often when they cross as he walks. We'll see how this goes, but based on yesterday they seem to work better for him.

Just a little reality check...the mom of another patient just came in and asked how Steve is doing. Her daughter is a patient here, too. We hadn't seen her in awhile, and assumed she had moved on to another facility or home. It turns out that she got pneumonia and it did terrible damage. According to her mom, it is "just a matter of time". Please keep Lena in your thoughts and prayers.

I think I'd better head back to see how everyone survived. Everyone...have a wonderful day!

Love,
Linda

12 comments:

Rob said...

I wanted to be the first---err... second to wish a VERY special person a Happy Birthday!!! Danielle, today is your day!!! Everyone that reads this Blog, please join Steve and family in wishing her a Happy Birthday.
Rob

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DANI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU ARE ALL STILL IN OUR PRAYERS!
THE COMBS, ILLINOIS

Anonymous said...

Danielle - We hope that you have a wonderful fun filled birthday!!!

You deserve it!!!

Love,

Aunt Gail and Uncle Don

Anonymous said...

okay....

so i hear that it is Danielle's birthday today. i wanted to wish her a happy birthday on behalf of Uncle Dave, Aunt Laura, David, and me.

thank you very much for everything you have done for Steve so far.

~miranda~

J Adams said...

Happy B-day Danielle! hope it's a good one
(i'm posting up here because i'm not supposed to be on Facebook at work :) )

Anonymous said...

We are so excited for all the progress that Steve has made. But the question we are curious about is what is it that Steve decided to get Danielle for her birthday. Happy Birthday Danielle! Enjoy yourself.

Linda said...

The birthday gift...We were trying to get Steve to a store, but just couldn't make it happen. So I thought it would be a good idea if I went to the store, took pictures with my phone and sent them to Steve's computer, and Rob could help him shop in that way. For some reason I thought he had jewelry in mind. On Sunday I asked if he had decided what he wanted to get for Danielle, expecting him to write something like "earrings." Instead he wrote "I want to get her a pink, 8 gig I-pod with a set-up for her truck, but I don't know what I need for the truck set-up." For some reason, it just caught me off guard and cracked me up. A few phone calls later we had tracked down what he wanted and found out about the truck thing, and Beth and I went shopping. When we got back we went outside to enjoy the beautiful weather and wrap Danielle's gifts. As I began to wrap the I-pod Steve wrote that he wanted to put a song on it. Rob went back to his room to get his computer. Steve then wrote that he wasn't sure if the song was on the computer, but we could download it. He wrote out detailed instructions about downloading it as well as transferring it to the I-pod, which just amazed us. Steve also wanted to write a note in a card, but didn't want me to see what he wrote. So I held a clipboard holding the card and turned my head so I couldn't see. I think I held my arm in that position for at least half an hour while he thought and wrote, thought and wrote, then I put the card in the envelop and he licked it shut. At the end of all this he was clearly exhausted, but so happy that he had exactly the gift he wanted. :) It was just such a nice afternoon with him.

Anonymous said...

The gift and story couldn't be more perfect!! He is so adorable. =) And thank you everyone for all the kind birthday messages!! It was a wonderful day and birthday!!

-Danielle

Anonymous said...

Carl here....Has anyone seen one of my coasters? I seem to be missing one!

Anonymous said...

Carl....Carmen the crab here. You might want to check with Steve, I think he might have a pretty good idea where your coaster is.

Linda said...

yes...Steve did find the coaster under his pillow :)

Suburban ICU NIght Shift said...

Hello from Suburban ICU night shift;
We were thinking about Steve tonight and we looked up his website. It was awesome to see the video of Steve walking. We rarely get to see the progress that patient's make after they leave the hospital for rehab. Keep up the good work and please know that are thoughts,prayers and support are with all of you. We are pulling for you Steve!