Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Update #1 from Beth

Hello everyone,

We don't have much time to write now, but Mom, Dad, Grams and I are all at the American Inn in Bethesda. As of right now, Steve is still in a coma. He arrived at the hospital on Sunday with both pupils fixed and dilated, and exhibiting "extensor posturing", which is a low-level reflex in response to brain injury. By yesterday, this posturing reflex had changed to indicate a higher level of brain function, and his left pupil had started responding to light. Today he took a few breaths on his own when the nurse changed the filter on the ventilator, and he started showing a bit more dexterity in his fingers, which the neurosurgeon says is a good sign. We still cannot, of course, communicate with him; basically all he can do at this point is move in response to painful stimuli. The neurosurgeon removed a large section of his skull to allow his brain to swell, and that will stay off for some time (it's in his abdomen so it will remain sterile).

I will write a longer entry later explaining what happened.

Talk to you guys soon,
Beth

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve,
When Aunt Gail yelled out the side door Sunday that you were in critical condition, it was if someone punched me in the stomach. It is hard to express the waves of emotions that we felt. My first mission was to get as many people praying for you and the family quickly. I sent notes out to my choir members, church members, family, and friends. I truly believe in the power of prayer, and I know it will help get you, your folks, Beth, Danielle, Grandma, and all of us who LOVE you through this. Keep fighting....stay strong....and know that I love you with all my heart and soul. I have had you listed in my email addresses for sometime now with a nickname of, My Hero. Please know that you will always be that to me.

Love,
Uncle Don

Anonymous said...

We are praying here in Holland, every day, several times a day. Know that we would hug you if we could. Take care of each other.
Love, Joe, Carrie, Thomas, Sean, and Michael

Anonymous said...

We are praying here in Lansing also. Our love and hearts go out to you guys. Stefanie, Solveig, BJ and Mary

Anonymous said...

Steve,
I haven't known you long, but what I know of you is wonderful. You are a strong and loving person and God is on your side! Danielle loves you more than anything and I feel that you are already part of our family. You need to get better soon because there are many many more good times to be had. We love you and we are praying for you.
Love, Jessie Stone

Anonymous said...

Steve and the Wonderful Percha family, We are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers each moment. We're confident that you are in good hands at the hospital.We will continue to pray for Steve fervently. Our thoughts are with all of you. Lots of Love, Mark, Kim, Chelsea and Reece

Unknown said...

Steve,

I was in shock when I saw this - you're in my thoughts and prayers. I'm pulling for you!

- Gabi

Anonymous said...

Im from Michigan and My store manager told me about this inncident.I have to tell you my prayers are for you to recover and to be with your love ones.You will Make it and so does everyone that reads this blog.

Prayers for you my friend!
Eric Anthony Castro

Anonymous said...

PRAYERS AND ALL OUR LOVE FROM MISSISSIPPI. ST THOMAS CHURCH, THE SPENCE FAMILY, THE B.E.A.C.H. KIDS (BRAD,ERIC,AMANDA,CHRISTOPHER,
HAYLEY)AND OF COURSE AUNT KATHIE.
WE KNOW YOU CAN PULL THRU.WE BELIEVE IN YOU!!

Anonymous said...

Prayers are also coming from Hastings. I hope Steve improves more each day.
Sheryl