Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Update #88 from Rob

Hope all is well.

Several things have happened since the last update that bear mentioning. First, is that Steve seems to be dealing with the seizure med issue. While we feel He is not yet totally back to where he was before the meds, he is getting noticeably stronger every day. He is walking almost unaided in PT, please see the video,and the therapists in OT, have his left hand and arm doing things they never did since the accident.
Passing the swallow test has unleashed the "eating monster" within Steve and he has forced us to develop a routine so he can fit "pleasure feedings" as the docs call them, in between his therapies during the day.
The docs must have a master plan for Steve as his stay has been uncharacteristically ,extended to OCTOBER 10th.
As Steve's rehabilitation seems to drag on, I fear some may be trying to predict when Steve will fully recover. Please do not waste energy dealing with this. I ask that all who read this Blog reference Uncle Rick's note of August 10th and also the following passage.
One of the Neuro PA's in Bethesda wrote a note on Steve's football, when Steve was in his darkest hours. It dealt with "I AM" and Linda found this when she researched it.
This passage defines our Family and has kept us going. It reads as follows;

I was regretting the past and fearing the future
Suddenly my Lord was speaking
"My name is I AM"

He paused, I waited, He continued,
"When you live in the past with its mistakes and regrets, it is hard.
I am not there. My name is not I WAS.

When you live in the future with its problems and fears, it is hard.
I am not there. My name is not I WILL BE.

When you live in this moment, it is not hard.
I am here, My name is I AM".


.......... it seems so easy to worry about things we cannot change nor predict.
But this video is proof that positive thoughts and prayers, " in this moment" work miracles.





Thanks
Rob

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, wow, wow. That is the most beautiful stride we have ever seen. It was hard to see through the huge crocodile tears, so we watched it again (and again!!!)
Keep eating and know we are all cheering for you.
Love and Prayers
The Smiths

Anonymous said...

Truly, Truly an amazing video!!!!

Anonymous said...

Steve, with each step you take you are growing stronger and stronger. No matter what gets thrown your way, you just keep going and never give up. You are an inspiration to us all.

Uncle Don and I saw the "eating monster" in action the other night. He was even kind enough to share some with me. That's our Steve....

Love,
Aunt Gail

Anonymous said...

Wow that's great. Keep up the good work steve.

You're in my thoughts,
Lyn

Uncle Don said...

Steve,
With every obstacle you overcome, I give thanks to God. His works have been speaking though you for sometime. You continue to teach us, to never let ANYTHING hold us back, and to appreciate what we have. I am so proud of you!!

Good things come to those who wait....and unless the Lord calls me home before your journey ends with you walking out of the hospital, verbally giving thanks to those wonderful folks who worked with you on your rehabilitation, I am here for you...ALWAYS!

Much Love,
Uncle Don

Linda said...

I just got home from the hospital and wanted to share that Steve had a great day. They are working him SO hard in PT and OT. Grams and I needed a nap after just watching what they put him through! But he hangs in there and is always ready and willing to do more. The therapists are taking advantage of every minute and giving him extra time whenever they can. He also did quite a bit of talking tonight. For example, he tasted a Fruit Loop and said "These are so good...I haven't had them in years!" Have a good night everyone!

Love,
Linda

Chris Grant said...

Dear Percha family:

Thank you for the beautiful quote "I Am". These are truly inspirational words to live by. Steve, all of us here at The Dude are cheering you on every step of the way. Keep up the fantastic progress!

Warmest best wishes,
Chris Grant