Sunday, August 10, 2008

A moment to reflect

Good Afternoon Linda, Rob, Beth and Danielle. I know Grams is taking a few days off for a needed break. I wanted to share something with each of you today, but really a story for all of us. There is a guy that I used to work with who follows Steve’s story daily. This guys name is Steve as well. His interest is the fact that his mom went through many the same battles as Steve as she fought back from a terrible stroke. Steve, the one I know in GA, sees so many similarities in the two stories. Well, last week Georgia-Steve and I were having lunch. He asked some questions about Michigan-Steve’s progress and we had a little exchange that went something like this:

Steve: “Sounds as though your nephew continues to fight the fight”
Me: “He sure does”
Steve: “With everything you know, everything you’ve seen and read and observed, where do you think Steve will be one year from today?”
Me: “It’s hard to say. The doctors have been very up front and Steve continues to make progress. It could be that in a year he may still need ……….”
Steve: “Who do you think you are?”
Me “?”
Steve: “How can you sit there and pretend to have any clue as to where Steve will be. He has proven every one of you wrong with his ability to overcome most obstacles put in his way. So you (pointing at me) are going to discredit his progress by pretending to know how far he will come. The progress is in Steve, always has been, always will be. His strength, his dedication, his will: those are what decide his progress, not you and I guessing what we think will be.”
Me: “I stand corrected”
Steve: “Obviously every case is different and obviously there are a range of potential outcomes, with differing degrees of probabilities attached to each – “all I know” is what I experienced, namely a 70 year old woman who previously could do the NY Times Sunday crossword puzzle in less than 15 minutes to one who couldn’t pronounce the word “the” – then, years later, was able to once again do the NY Times puzzle. My mom had a massive stroke. She was paralyzed from the neck down and on a feeding tube for over a year. We cared for her day in and day out and four years later she danced the night away at my wedding and welcomed her granddaughter into the world. Today – no practical physical limitations, walking, up-and-down stairs, fully self-sufficient, plays bridge, etc. etc. etc. Please don’t discredit Steve by pretending you know how far he’ll come. That his for him to decide”

Stay strong Steve

Uncle Rick

1 comment:

Uncle Don said...

Rick,

What a powerfull story, thank you, and thank Georgia Steve for sharing. The healing power of our Lord is a wonderful thing, not to mention the power of prayer. I am sure that Georgia Steve had numerous people praying for his mom, just as our Steve has people praying for him now. Our Lord himself said, "I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you will receive it, and you will."

I have felt for some time now that we are witnessing a miracle from God. Looking at the initial postings in February and where Steve is today, WOW! We are all instruments in God's plan, and perhaps someday that plan will be revealed to us. I know in my heart Steve is not alone on this journey. Yes, Steve has Team Percha, but I know that our Lord has him by the hand, giving Steve the strength to fight the fight too. What a GREAT gift!!

Peace,
Uncle Don